Monday, October 6, 2008

Things that have broken in our house in the last 2 weeks:

-sewer blockage causing massive outpouring of shit etc. onto our basement floor. Tonnes of fun to clean up at 11:30 on a Sunday night. The guys from the city were awesome, though.

-hot water knob falling off bathtub, preventing hot water from being shut off.

-resultant leaking faucet from the above encounter. (calling plumber tomorrow)

-washing machine (still not fixed- actually was the first in this list to break.) Shawn spent his day off at the laundromat. The repairman is finally showing up tomorrow afternoon to assess the situation- though if repairs are more than $200, landlord has advised us against fixage, and she will buy new machines. Even though it could mean further weeks without a washer, I'm kind of hoping for this option. Go stacking HE models!

-and today's event: front door deadbolt breaking TWO keys in half! My own, and the acting landlord's, who I had to disturb so I could get spares, and try and get into my house. Good thing he also gave me the side door keys- which we never received when we moved in- or I would have been sitting very sadly on the front porch with my eggs.


Things of note that should probably have been replaced long ago:

-front door in its entirety- deadbolt especially.

-cracked airflow vents

-bathroom window (that OPENS to prevent mildew and rot)

-bedroom window (that OPENS, allowing inhabitants to breathe during the summer, or escape in the event of a disaster- is this a fire code hazard? anyone know?)

-inside front door (cracked panels, tricky door knob, single pane glass allowing for cold drafts to flow freely from uninsulated boot room into living room.)

-water damage to roof and ceramic tiles in boot room.

-weather stripping


I keep saying "It's all good practice for when we own our own house...", but generally I'm getting fed up with something breaking every 2 days here, and living in fear of what's going to break next.

It's too bad, too. Because I really do like this house.

Boo.

1 comment:

april said...

awww man!
it's only uphill from here guys. it can't possibly get any worse than sopping up poo on a sunday night...