Monday, January 19, 2009

Big White!

After a near meltdown and throwing-in-of-the-university-towel due to poor professorial assignment on school's part (ahem), I skipped school for a week and Shawn and I headed west- or as I like to say, the right side of the Rockies! We went west to our favourite place- the Okanagan Valley!

In spite of having been born and raised in the Vancouver area and its environs, (okay- the 'burbs.), I never took advantage of my primo mountain location to learn how to ski or snowboard. My family isn't exactly a winter-loving group, so our mountainous forays- which were frequent- took place mostly during warmer months.

Since Shawn and I were both raised on steady diets of mountain appreciation (me, in the summer, and he in the winter), I figured it was time to learn!



It only took 3/4 of a run and the better part of an hour, but I made it down! With little to no strength left in my arms, I think I managed it finally out of fear of having to push myself up out of the snow again!



My bottom did not suffer as much as I'd be warned it would, but I did have to roll myself out of bed the next day!

There was a super cute little yellow bubble gondola that went to an area of the mountain called Happy Valley- we are riding inside the yellow bubble, and we are happy! Yay! Except I have really, really terrible hair thanks to hotel shampoo. Blegh!




We stayed at the Inns of Big White- this was the view from our hotel room. Yay for B.C. mountains!



And yay for Big White!



....but most importantly, yay for BC wines and beers! We stocked up- this has to last us until the summer!



What a great vacation! But then again, we always have fun.

No comments: