Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Slow Recovery, Second Winter.

I went home for the first time in nearly two years over Reading Week to visit my family, and unfortunately, instead of enjoying non-snow, and non-minus-thirties, going for walks on the beach, and generally enjoying not wearing Sorels for a while, I caught the flu. So did my Mum. A really, really, bad flu. I was so sick, I wasn't even feeling well enough to mope about my bad luck until my last day in town, when I realized I was going home again.

Then I started to mope. Oh no!

It's been a bit of a crappy week back.

I've decided I'm not going back to University next year (I have a whole diatribe to unload on that subject, though that's for another day), but haven't determined whether I'm willing to go further into debt in pursuing something technical institute related (read: with gainful employment attached at the completion end), or whether I just want to work my ass off so we can get back to the right side of the Rockies as soon as humanly possible.

It's -31C with the windchill today, and my Farmer's Almanac predicts snow and frigid temperatures into April.

I'm generally pretty upbeat about being here- the third of the year that there isn't snow is actually pretty nice. I've kept a smile on my face through the winter, but I think I've reached the end of my tether. I can't imagine growing up, let alone growing old here. I haven't even entertained the idea of putting down roots, so I haven't, and in doing so have wound up in limbo.

Sorry for the bummer post. Woe is me! I feel like this is the second winter of the year, and spring is way overdue.

4 comments:

Not Available said...

Everyone in the house is getting the flu. I refuse to take part.

It really sounds like you made the right decision about University.

I decided to go to the U of A in September. I figure I should at least try it out.

I could sure use even a temporary move to somewhere warmer for a few years. I want to ride my bike all year long, comfortably.

Guns said...

Way to take a stand! I hope you're wearing a surgical mask around the house.

I completely believe everyone should have a go at university- some people adore it! You might be one of those people! And going in for music seems like it would be a LOT more fun than a glorified arts degree.

I will definitely ride my bike more in a more temperate climate, but what I really miss during the winter here is walking comfortably- like a healthy grandma, keeping ambulatory keeps me feeling well.

If or when we move, you can come and visit.

L. B. said...

We had two weeks of snow on the ground and I was going BANANAS not being able to walk anywhere. The dog wasn't thrilled, either. Sometimes the prairies seem appealing, what with the lower cost of living, but I don't want to live anywhere that necessitates a car or an 8-month hibernation period.

Jen R said...

We have tech schools over on this side of the rockies too. Come on over and enjoy the sun!