Sunday, January 20, 2008

This week(ish) in list form.

1. My student loan has yet to arrive, putting me 2 weeks behind on readings due to lacking funds for text purchasing.

2. Shawn got himself stranded post-mountain for a day and a half in Innisfail thanks to a crapped out alternator. Apparently, Innisfail is the asshole of the world. And apparently it costs about 7 bills to fix an alternator- not including a day and a half in a cracked-out, overpriced hotel.

3. My long-lost wife came to town, only to be swept away to the North to cook for scores of hungry rig men. I hadn't seen her in over two years, but as always it seemed that no time had passed at all. We ate the cupcakes featured below.

4. I knit a wee bit, transforming my goldentuque from decent to awesome. Brim and buttons! I wanted to start a new project, but alas, am down to leftovers in my yarn bag. Time for a refill, then extra-long cuffed mittens. And perhaps an attempt at Fair Isle, or double-sided argyle.

5. I developped a new chemical sensitivity, and it seems to be to anything petroleum based! Excitement! More allergies to make my life difficult! If anyone has suggestions for petroleum-free creams, let me know. My feets and hands crave moisture.

6. Several nightmares were had- all of which featured the loss of teeth, and melons, though in a completely unrelated way. Weird.

7. Lucky me! To receive a bunch of unexpected pretty gifties from Mrs. Vanstone!! Thank-you so much Sherry!

8. All of our beloved cacti were repotted- on the kitchen floor. The smell of fresh, clean dirt is delicious. While picking prickles out of my wrist in the days following, I made a list of all the vegetables and flowers I want to plant when we have a yard: bell peppers, hot peppers, carrots, garlic, mint, tea roses, zucchini, dhalias, cherry tomatoes, sunflowers, rhubarb, and a huge bed of peonies!

9. And in the same list-within-the-list vein, I am slowly compiling a list of things I have learned during my first Edmonton winter. I will not make the same mistakes next year. Most important lesson #1: Warm mittens, tights, scarves, socks, boots and tuques are far more important than an extra warm jacket. My extremities have suffered, while my core has overheated. Uncomfortable.

1 comment:

L. B. said...

Gunth! We share the same random skin sensitivities! I affectionately call it "my flesh-eating disease". I have had good luck with this stuff, although it can be a little hard to find (at least in east Van). The less intense version that comes in a bottle doesn't work for me. The wee little tubes are where it's at.

I don't share your skill with gardening, though. The first thing we did after moving in here was get rid of all the plants, before they died just from proximity to me.