Saturday, April 4, 2009

Saturday afternoon snack!

I have Saturday off this week- and before you start dishing out the high-fives, this really isn't a treat for me. I've become accustomed to my days off being weekdays, and since I've never had a Monday to Friday type of job (neither does Shawn), I think I may always associate Saturdays with work. I like being able to do my weekly "stuff" without the weekend throng. It's much more relaxing.

Maybe that's why I feel so restless today- like I should be accomplishing something other than surfing Etsy, breaking in my new shoes, getting quotes for prints, and of course, baking!

One of my new favourite blogs, Everybody Likes Sandwiches (which is an AMAZING collection of yummy recipes, by the way), featured a recipe for cranberry and blood orange loaf earlier in the week, and I have been thinking about it ever since! Unfortunately, I could find neither blood oranges nor frozen cranberries (I really didn't want dried) at my corner grocer, and was in no way in the mood for a Saturday afternoon larger-chain-grocery-store venture. The horror, on the weekend! The horror! So I grabbed my last three navels (which had been languishing in the fridge for a good month), and subbed frozen cranberries with frozen strawberries. The results?



Exactly what the doctor ordered! A nice fresh-from-the-oven slice, with a hot cup of Natural Farmworks Chai, and I'm not at all concerned that I haven't got anything lined up for dinner. Strawberry orange loaf sounds fine to me...

1 comment:

april said...

ohhh yeah! bread for dinner! sounds good to me too! my sister and I used to have "carbohydrate festival buffet" for dinner every once in a while, where we would basically skip anything fresh or leafy and just gorge on carbs! I miss my sister. Shane hates carbs :( and will not feast with me!